On Tuesday 14 April 2009 02:19:47 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Paul Hartman
>
> <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The only app I am really disappointed with is Amarok 2. I really liked
> > Amarok 1 and they started over for Amarok 2 and I dislike just about
> > everything they've done to it. The tree-view collection list is
> > awful!!!!, the UI is bad (middle 50% of screen is wasted), playlist is
> > not intuitive. Does not support titles in cue files. The only thing
> > they've done better is Last.fm works better... but I am about [------]
> > this close to going back to Amarok 1 and taking on board the KDE3 libs
> > it brings with it.
>
> One more big gripe about Amarok 2: it is a music player which cannot
> play music CDs. What's up with that?
>
> I just tried Amarok 2.1 and they haven't fixed anything... Something
> as simple as loading an album into the playlist, with the tracks in
> the proper order, is seemingly impossible. I am so frustrated with it.

I tried really hard to use Amarok 2 the way the developers intended. But I
failed. I couldn't really figure out what was the way they intended at all so
I had to guess. The final straws were:

- same as you - can't actually play anything except mp3/ogg
- interface designed by an idiot with half the real estate blank in the middle
- Tag editor simply does not work right. I can't edit an album, change the
name of the album and have it show up in all tracks.
- the final straw of the final straws was the idiocy about how the Amarok devs
think you should use mysql.

So Amarok is a project that seems to have lost it's focus, has no idea what
the project is even supposed to do, and is being coded by a bunch of fools who
have no idea. I went back to 1.4, masked everything >=1.5 and life is good
again. mpd is also worth a second look.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com