On Tuesday 14 April 2009 01:48:54 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 22:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with that xorg.conf file, it works just fine.
> >
> > Tip: when requiring assistance of this nature, you absolutely have to
> > supply the error messages from the console or from the logs. It is almost
> > impossible to assist you without knowing what X said it thinks is wrong
> > with the file.
> >
> > So, try again with this config file and if it fails have a look in
> > /var/log/Xorg.0.log for the error messages - they are the lines starting
> > with (EE)
> >
> > Also, there is no "new format" for this file. It still works exactly the
> > way it always did, with the sole exception that when using hal, the
> > InputDevice sections are not needed. Simply delete those parts, or
> > comment them out.
>
> I commented out the InputDevice sections and tried to boot with it.  It
> still wouldn't work:

> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module extmod
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dri
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module dbe
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module record
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module xtrap
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module type1
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module freetype
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module i810

Mark spotted these and your video driver earlier. In recent X versions, the
intel driver is called "intel" - it went through a few renamings and
rewritings.

Plus, none of your extensions are being loaded. That's because you have this
in xorg.conf:

        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/modules"

It's more likely /usr/lib/xorg/modules

I last saw things like this waaaaaaaaaay back in the days of 6.8, so I
strongly suspect you have an ancient machine that you never updated. If so,
you not only have the 1.5.3 plus hal plus evdev thing to fix but also the 6.8
to 7.0 monolithic to modular mess. The howto is still on gentoo.org somewhere.

Please verify what version of X you are trying to upgrade from. Also which
kernel version you now use and the version before that.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com