On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:00:40 -0600
darren kirby <bulli...@badcomputer.org> wrote:

> Can anybody at least confirm this is not correct behavior? Suggest how to
> troubleshoot this further? As best as I can tell my profile is
> ok, 'hardened/x86' and portage doesn't want to update itself...

I'd suggest to look at all versions of baselayout in portage and see
why each one is masked (equery here is a part of gentoolkit pkg):

  equery list -p baselayout

  emerge --nodeps -pv '=sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1'

That'll allow you to see reason why devs masked package for that
profile, or prehaps some other reason, like wrong manifest.

From there you can override this mask by package.unmask (if it's masked
by .mask) or package.keywords (by keyword).

...or, you can accept mask and just downgrade udev (adding later,
incompatible versions to package.mask: ">=sys-fs/udev-...").
I'd suggest issuing this command to see which one will suit your system:

  equery depgraph --depth=1 udev

> I don't understand why my currently installed udev wants the currently
> installed baselayout but 'system' wants an older one.

That looks like expected behavior for me: udev in that profile is just
a bit ahead of the rest of the system, probably because of recent
baselayout masking, and I bet there should be a good reason to mask
something like that.

Since you had that newer baselayout, you have newer udev, which is
unusable with stable (by gentoo developers' estimation) baselayout.
Newer, ~x86, portage will probably downgrade it automagically, since
it's only reasonable option without overriding masks.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net