On Friday 24 April 2009 01:59:59 walt wrote:

> Whenever I have the same problem it's because I've done a 'make clean' or
> equivalent in /usr/src/linux, or more likely because a newer version of
> the kernel sources has been installed but I haven't yet built the newer
> kernel.
>
> It's possible that both the kernel sources and nvidia-drivers were
> updated about the same time, and when that happens the nvidia-drivers
> will be compiled immediately whereas the new kernel won't be compiled
> until you decide to go do it yourself.  (Meanwhile, nvidia-drivers has
> crapped out.)

Yes, but those don't apply here. I had, as I said, a current kernel source
directory (by which I mean I had compiled the currently running kernel in
it) and was installing the latest version of nvidia. I hadn't done anything
in the source tree since compiling the kernel, so it should have Just
Worked.

--
Rgds
Peter