* Joerg Schilling (joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de) [30.04.09 12:31]:
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > BackupPC should cope with this. It uses rsync over SSH, so only needs to
> > transfer new/changed files, and will restart where it left off if the
> > connection fails (this happens to me sometimes when I switch off my
> > laptop while it is backing up and the backup just restarts the next
> > morning).
>
> What rsync does can also be done by star by running something like:
>
> umount /mnt
> fssnap -F  ufs -d /export/nfs
> rm /export/home/EXPORT-NFS.snap
> sync
> sleep 10
> echo > /tmp/S.$$
> svcadm disable svc:/network/nfs/server
> mount -r `fssnap -F  ufs -o backing-store=/export/home/EXPORT-NFS.snap
> /export/nfs` /mnt
> svcadm enable svc:/network/nfs/server
>
> star bs=1m fs=256m -c -xdev -sparse -acl -link-dirs level=1 -cumulative
> dumpdate=/tmp/S.$$ fs-name=/export/nfs -
> wtardumps tardumps=/etc/td-copy -C /mnt . | \
> star bs=1m fs=256m -xpU -no-fsync -restore -time -C /export/nfs2

10 lines where 1 is sufficient? Not so userfriendly, and what is the
benefit?

If space is not a problem the main benefit of rsync is that you have
your backup simply on a filesystem, that you can mount anywhere you want
it. And the plus is no programm needed to restore the data other than
cp...

With rsnapshot it get even easier to configure your backup.

> star supports enhanced file meta data, what does rsync?

   -A, --acls                  preserve ACLs (implies -p)
   -X, --xattrs                preserve extended attributes

is all file meta data I have, so it is sufficient.

> Jörg

Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "  |   _   ASCII ribbon campaign
                              Karl Marx  |  ( )   against HTML e-mail