> Does the dialup work at all. Can you ping any of the gentoo
> mirrors? Did
> mirrorselect work?

emerge mirrorselect is further down the page under "Last configuration
touches".  Which is a puzzlement. Before failing portage tried connecting to a
long list of sites.
How did portage know where to look? make.conf has only the CFLAGS and CHOST
lines. Nothing about where to look for files.

Yeah, the weird thing is I could download stuff onto the Desktop but not emerge
or even wget from the chrooted environment.

So I shut everything down and rebooted. The only thing I did different this
time was to neglect to set up or start ssh. Mounted the drives, chrooted and
emerged gentoo-sources. Worked fine.

BTW, I followed the advice on the eeepc forum not to install a swap partition.
I wonder if that is why the portage tarball took so long to unpack.

IIRC tuxonice's wifi wouldn't work so I used xubuntu, wifi starts up
automaticamente on this model.

mw

http://www.flickr.com/gift/