Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I've found that when I run ip link show on my box it gives me:
>snip>

> Seems like you have a truck load of kernel modules loaded that you don't use.
> Stop those modules from loading, or just don't load them until you really do
> need them.

If I install iproute2, on gentoo, does it replace ifconfig, or are both
still usable to configure interfaces?

emerge -pv iproute2 shows no package conflict, so I assume both can
coexist peacefully?

From:
http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Iproute2

It says:

Most network configuration manuals still refer to ifconfig and route
as the primary network configuration tools, but ifconfig is known to
behave inadequately in modern network environments. They should be
deprecated, but most distros still include them. Most network
configuration systems make use of ifconfig and thus provide a limited
feature set. The /etc/net project aims to support most modern network
technologies, as it doesn't use ifconfig and allows a system
administrator to make use of all iproute2 features, including
traffic control.

I frequently use ifconfig to set up multiple sub interfaces
on a single ethernet nic, but I have not tried iproute2 for
for this purpose. Is it (iproute2) cool for manipulating sub
interfaces?

I'm just not sure how Gentoo is about making both (ifconfig vs
iproute2) available and working peacefully together?

curiously,
James