2009/5/12 Etaoin Shrdlu <shr...@unlimitedmail.org>:
> On Tuesday 12 May 2009, 11:17, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
>
>> > Does ssh-agent really ask you for a passphrase when starting a
>> > shell?
>>
>> Not if you don't invoke it :)
>
> Sorry, that is a bit unclear. Ssh-agent will never ask for a password.
> It's ssh-add that does (if you run it after the agent), assuming the key
> you're adding is password-protected.

Ssh-agent most certainly asks for a passphrase (although it may be
ssh-add that does the actual asking). As soon as I get to my first
login screen (I don't start from a GUI login), and I have logged in,
ssh-agent (or ssh-add, whatever) asks me for a passphrase for the DSA
key it finds. But it consistently ignores the RSA key.

Really, everything is (or at least seems to be) working wonderfully
*for DSA*. As you also indicated, it *should* work for both DSA and
RSA ... except that on my box it doesn't. :-(