On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Dale has an old video card and needs one of the nvidia legacy driver
>>> releases.
>>> He finds that that release doesn't work with kernels after .25
>>>

>> Humm....now I'm getting interested. I just did an emerge -DuN world to
>> my dad's machine in Southern California last night. He's got a 6 year
>> old machine with an old nvidia card that's no longer supported by the
>> newest drivers so the emerge messages tell me that I have to use an
>> older legacy version of the driver. Thing is I have him on
>> gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r4 using nvidia-drivers-96.43.09. Everything
>> seems to be working from here. I see the driver in memory. I Can run X
>> apps remotely.
>>
>> gandalf ~ # uname -a
>> Linux gandalf 2.6.29-gentoo-r4 #3 PREEMPT Sun May 17 06:58:58 PDT 2009
>> i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>> gandalf ~ #
>>
>> gandalf ~ # emerge -pv nvidia-drivers
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>> [ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-96.43.09  USE="acpi gtk
>> -custom-cflags (-multilib)" 0 kB
>>
>> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>> gandalf ~ #
>>
>> I guess my question is whether he's going to have issues. He's really
>> bad about reporting this stuff to me and I'm not there to see the
>> screen or use the system.
>>
>> I don't see much  in /var/log/Xorg.0.log other than a complaint about
>> GLX and freetype. freetype I can fix. GLX I haven't looked into.
>>
>> Any problems?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>

> Hey, we got a pretty similar rig here.  I have a FX5200, made by
> Chaintech I think.  Info alert:
>
> r...@smoker / # uname -a
> Linux smoker 2.6.25-gentoo-r9 #3 PREEMPT Sat May 16 12:06:51 CDT 2009
> i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
> r...@smoker / # emerge -pv nvidia-drivers

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-173.14.09  USE="acpi gtk
> -custom-cflags (-multilib)" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> r...@smoker / # lspci | grep VGA
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
> 5200] (rev a1)
> r...@smoker / #
>
> My drivers appears to be a little newer but you may have a older card
> than me.  If so, my sympathies.  ;-)   There is a newer version of the
> 173.* series but it wouldn't compile either.  I think this is the only
> version that works.  That goodness it does a good job.
>
> Dale

Dale,
   As far as I can tell I'm not having any problems. This machine was
using a 2.6.28 kernel up until yesterday when I updated to 2.6.29-r4.
The point I'm trying to make is that this old driver and all the
kernels I have used up to now have all worked.

   I noticed that the machine does have the older C compile 4.1.2 on
it and that's what most of the machine has been built with. I'm just
starting to switch over to 4.3.2 which is why it's selected. This
kernel and the version of nvidia-drivers I listed earlier compile on
both for me. The one I used for this kernel/driver combo was 4.3.2/

gandalf ~ # gcc-config -l
 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2
 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.2 *
gandalf ~ #

   The VGA is older I think. 440 series. I suspect it's the one I put
in 5-6 years ago. I don't remember whether we ever updated it:

gandalf ~ # lspci | grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4
MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a2)
gandalf ~ #

   In my case attempting to install anything newer results in a big
emerge message telling me not to and suggesting this specific nvdia
driver.

gandalf ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
usblp                  10140  0
uhci_hcd               18980  0
sbp2                   19184  1
usbhid                 21468  2
nvidia               4699324  0
i2c_nforce2             5828  0
ohci_hcd               20080  0
snd_intel8x0           25784  0
nvidia_agp              5704  1
snd_ac97_codec         90232  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                1316  1 snd_ac97_codec
agpgart                25748  2 nvidia,nvidia_agp
i2c_core               17564  2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2
ohci1394               25664  1
ehci_hcd               29380  0
ieee1394               66064  2 sbp2,ohci1394
gandalf ~ #

gandalf ~ # modinfo nvidia
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.29-gentoo-r4/video/nvidia.ko
license:        NVIDIA
alias:          char-major-195-*
alias:          pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc02i00*
alias:          pci:v000010DEd*sv*sd*bc03sc00i00*
depends:        agpgart,i2c-core
vermagic:       2.6.29-gentoo-r4 preempt mod_unload K7
parm:           NVreg_VideoMemoryTypeOverride:int
parm:           NVreg_EnableVia4x:int
parm:           NVreg_EnableALiAGP:int
parm:           NVreg_ReqAGPRate:int
parm:           NVreg_NvAGP:int
parm:           NVreg_EnableAGPSBA:int
parm:           NVreg_EnableAGPFW:int
parm:           NVreg_SoftEDIDs:int
parm:           NVreg_Mobile:int
parm:           NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles:int
parm:           NVreg_DeviceFileUID:int
parm:           NVreg_DeviceFileGID:int
parm:           NVreg_DeviceFileMode:int
parm:           NVreg_ResmanDebugLevel:int
parm:           NVreg_FlatPanelMode:int
parm:           NVreg_DevicesConnected:int
parm:           NVreg_RmLogonRC:int
parm:           NVreg_RemapLimit:int
parm:           NVreg_UpdateMemoryTypes:int
parm:           NVreg_DetectPrimaryVga:int
parm:           NVreg_RegistryDwords:charp
parm:           NVreg_VbiosFromROM:int
parm:           NVreg_EnableBrightnessControl:int
parm:           NVreg_PanelPWMFrequency:int
parm:           NVreg_PanelBrightnessLimits:int
parm:           NVreg_RMEdgeIntrCheck:int
parm:           NVreg_UsePageAttributeTable:int
parm:           NVreg_MapRegistersEarly:int
gandalf ~ #

- Mark