Mark Knecht wrote:
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM, bn <brullonu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mark Knecht ha scritto:
Title sort of says it. I have an old machine that I'm setting up as a
Myth server. I didn't want X on the machine but I'm having trouble so
I emerged xdm and start it using /etc/init.d/xdm start. The  drivers
get loaded but I get a black screen. No error message in the X log
file.

I haven't messed with X at this level before. What's the minimum test
of X that would display a terminal or something very basic?

Have you tried

startx /usr/bin/xterm

Yes. Same black screen. Nothing else going on. The processes show up
in ps aux, X as root, xterm as me.

I've found before that if everything seems to be running (can list X processes and logs look fine) but you still don't see anything, it's possible it is your monitor. I used to use a really old 15" CRT for a server but it just wouldn't run X at anything over 640x480. Modern monitors will at least tell you if the resolution/refresh is out of limits, but older ones don't often. Try with a different monitor if that one is old or suspect.

~Matt