>> On 9 Jun 2009, at 08:15, Jason Carson wrote:
>>> Hmmmm, I tried emerging hostapd normally and I noticed this...
>>>
>>> * Enabling Wi-Fi Protected Setup support
>>> * Enabling drivers:
>>> *   HostAP driver enabled
>>> *   Wired driver enabled
>>> *   Prism54 driver enabled
>>> *   Madwifi driver enabled
>>> *   nl80211 driver enabled
>>>
>>> ...which says that nl80211 is enabled, yet the defconfig file in the
>>> tar
>>> ball shows this line commented out so I am confused as to how I fix my
>>> problem...
>>>
>>> #CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y
>>
>> In my experience this notation will be used to suggest the default.
>>
>> I.E. if there's no entry for CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211 (or it's commented
>> out) then the option will be enabled by default.
>>
>> If the config file said
>> #CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=n
>> then I would tend to assume that the option will be disabled by
>> default, and that this line needs uncommenting and changing in order
>> to enable it.
>>
>> I can't say that everyone uses this convention, or even that I've ever
>> read it stated, but
>> 1) if I look at /etc/ssh/sshd_config, for example, all the options
>> that I've set myself are lines I've had to uncomment AND change.
>> 2) the compiler / build tool says it's building your module, anyway.
>> Who cares what the config file says?
>>
>> Stroller.
>>

> ok, I guess it is enabled then. I wonder why its not working.

I came across this...

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd?action=show&redirect=RTFM-AP

and it says...

"Now find this line:

#CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y

and uncomment it by removing the '#' sign. Repeat for other settings that
you may be interested in. The basic configuration, with only this line
uncommented is enough to get hostapd up and running with WPA/WPA2
authentication and encryption."

...so I don't know what to believe anymore lol :-)