On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:55:49 -0500
Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Mike Kazantsev <mk.frag...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Something finally allows the kvm pass through to be recognized but not
> >> until I've reached the login prompt.
> >
> > But linux kernel isn't loaded or used in any way when grub screen comes
> > up - grub is loading it as a last step of it's execution, so any kernel
> > configuration settings should be completely irrelevant here.
>
> So if I could identify what it is in the kernel that allowes it to
> work at the point where the kernel takes over (login prompt), then
> maybe I could enable that aspect somehow inside an initramfs, and be
> able to have the KVM recognized at the grub prompt by booting with an
> initrd.

But it's the grub that loads initrd and linux kernel is actually the one
using it, not the grub, so you won't get it until you drop out from
grub already.

You can try updating grub itself though, 0.X tree ebuilds are accessible
for both stable and unstable gentoo arch, but there's 1.X and even live
ebuild masked in the portage tree, prehaps they would be able to work
with newer hardware?

I also wonder, does BIOS recognize this KVM, can you access it?

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net