On 11 Jun 2009, at 16:37, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Donnerstag 11 Juni 2009, walt wrote:
The problem is that I also have a plug-in ESATA docking station, which is not always powered on. When it *is* powered on, my kernel names the
disk /dev/sda, and that forces the root device to be named /dev/sdb
instead of sda.  Crashing ensues during bootup.
I've tried using a disk label in fstab instead of a device name, but the
problem is that the kernel mounts the wrong partition before it has a
chance to read fstab.
afaik you can use labels in grubtoo.

I believe  you need an initrd/initramfs in order to do so.

See Neil Bothwick's first post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg81584.html

Stroller.