On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:31:39 -0700
Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pre-converting sounds interesting.  I could convert all of my 16/44.1
> files to 24/96 files?  That way the CPU wouldn't be stressed at
> playback time.  How can I do that?  I use libsamplerate "Best" for
> resampling.

Just use flac/lame/vorbis-tools, they have all the capabilities you
need.

  lame --decode /some/file.mp3 - | \
    flac --bps=24 --sample-rate=96 - file.flac

  lame --decode /some/file.mp3 - | \
    oggenc --resample 24000 -q 6 - -o file.ogg

  lame --resample 24 --preset standard /some/file.mp3 file.mp3

Try tweaking quality settings / listening to results in different
formats to pick the best one for you.
ogg and mp3 should result in some loss of sound quality, although it
might be insignificant while compression benefit over flac is quite
noticeable.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net