walt ha scritto:
> Ah, maybe that explains why I despise their package manager.
>
> When I was a Debian user I figured that the most basic of utilities
> should be easy to use -- and I'm only half joking.
>
> Just for fun I tried Ubuntu recently since it's been so popular the
> last few years.  They built their system on top of a Debian base,
> including my nemesis, the Debian package management system :o(
>
> The Synaptics GUI front end for their package manager is a great deal
> easier than the original back end, true, but the basic bad design of
> the back end still glares through the eye candy.  (Just my opinion.)
>
> I like gentoo's portage system so-o-o-o much better!

As a user of both Debian-based and Gentoo systems, I am curious to know
what do you find so annoying about apt-get.

Portage is more flexible probably, but apt-get, with an appropriate
frontend like Synaptics, is a piece of cake: in 99% of cases is click &
go. And surely it makes more sense to use than rpm, on the command line
(let alone the crazy Slackware guys :) )

m.