* Harry Putnam (rea...@newsguy.com) [14.06.09 19:46]:
> Sebastian Günther <sam...@guenther-roetgen.de> writes:
>
> > * Harry Putnam (rea...@newsguy.com) [12.06.09 16:41]:
> >>
> >> There is a patch offered but still one would think using standard
> >> emerge on a package that is outside the `~' daredevil stage and is not
> >> masked, it should `just work' [tm].
> >>

> > When I read the bug rightfully, procmail did not build with glibc
> > 2.10.1, which is *not* stable yet, especially because of a lot packages
> > which don't build cleanly with it at the moment.
> >
> > So if you'd use the stable glibc it would build fine. There is no need
> > to mark procmail in any way. ~x86 should be able to apply patches on
> > their own, or wait until the patch arrives in tree.
>
> Probably should use only stable but never have in over 5 yrs.
> Probably much to the dismay of this list.
>
> But even then, when a package is known in advance NOT to install with
> current ~x86 tools, seems there would be some way to let user know
> that.

First of all the bug is fixed, and a working patch was there 1 day after
the opening. I call this a fast response...

For ~x86 this is a working solution, and if you use ~x86: b.g.o *is* the
users information system and applying patches should be no problem.

> Since you've said it is because of glibc... and this is a known bug
> seems there might be a way to flag or mark procmail as incompatible
> with it.

The problem with glibc is, that you only find issues when you recompile
your whole world, which is not needed in most cases. And most of the
errors with glibc-2.10.1 result from wrong castings, which is only a
compile time issue not a run issue.

And all these problems are upstream, so you can patch for yourself in
gentoo, but the cleaner solution is to wait for upstream to include the
patch there. And release a new version, when they do too...

Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "  |   _   ASCII ribbon campaign
                              Karl Marx  |  ( )   against HTML e-mail