On 6/22/09, James <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Where do I read more and find more of the latest example for
> syntax with portage and the different files therein?
<snip />
> It should have read:
>
> 'man portage' does not show the use of the (><=) syntax
> within the package.keywords file ?

No, but it instructs one to peek into man 5 ebuild for the info. If
you look again at the portage manpage, the section on package.keywords
states of the file format:

"one DEPEND atom per line followed by additional KEYWORDS"

And at the top (Glossary) it says about these atoms:

"DEPEND atom
                     A string which matches a package.  It is of the
form category/package.  It may also contain optional logical operators
and versions.
                     More reading: ebuild(5)"

Follow this "more reading"-hint by entering "man 5 ebuild". The
resulting manpage tells you quite extensively (even everything?) about
the atoms, with many examples, and more.

It takes a meticulous, technically inclined (or otherwise
anal-retentive? :) ) mind to read these manpage-thingies which were
structured and invented before the modern hypertext-intarweb hit the
streets two decades ago. And sure, some of them are written badly, but
IMHO the gentoo ones are pretty ok from a user's POV.

So, as a conclusion, you probably want to use ~ instead of >= in there
as you apparently are running a mostly stable box (arch) instead of
testing (~arch)?

--
Arttu V.