On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:15:02 +0200 (CEST)
Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was quite surprised when I tried to emerge media-libs/tiff
> (3.8.2-r6) today. I got the error messages
>
> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your
> request:
> - sys-devel/gcc-4.4.0 (Change USE: +objc)
> (dependency required by "media-libs/tiff-3.8.2-r6" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "media-libs/tiff" [argument])
>
> Indeed, I have emerged gcc-4.4.0 without objc but
>
> gcc-config -l  shows
>  [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.3 *
>  [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.0
>
> and gcc -v shows Gentoo 4.3.3-r2 p1.1
>
> So, why the requirement that the inactive gcc-4.4.0 should have
> been emerged with objc?

Maybe because you also did not build gcc 4.3.3 with objc and then
portage goes on until it reaches the newest version. Since none of the
installed met the dependency, it takes the latest one to show you what
to do, assuming you use this as standard. Which is a good assumption
for most cases...

> (I'm using portage-2.2_rc33 and had only good experiences, so far)
>
> Thanks for enlightening me,
> Helmut.

HTEY
Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "  |   _   ASCII ribbon campaign
                              Karl Marx  |  ( )   against HTML e-mail