Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 02:39:33 John P. Burkett wrote:
>> At that point I had the impression that the machine was not up-to-date
>> but nonetheless functional.  However, the next morning I noticed that
>> the computer would not print to my local printer. Using the CUPS menu
>> did not rectify the problem.  When I rebooted, the machine wouldn't
>> start X and the mouse wouldn't work.  Rebooting again, I used the Grub
>> menu to select an old reliable configuration which allowed me to login
>> at a command line interface but did allow me to start X.
>
> This has been dealt with ad-nauseam on this list over the last few weeks,
> with
> many many threads covering these issues (they are very common)
>
> Please check the mail archives for the full story in all it's excruciating
> detail.

Thank you, Alan, for the pointer.  Going to
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/ and using Firefox's "find"
facility, I searched for each of the following expressions: udev,
cryptsetup, host address, distrfiles.shea, filesize, printer, startx,
mouse. I have not found the threads to which you refer. If you could
point out a relevant starting point in the archives, I would be very
grateful.

John

--
John P. Burkett