On Tuesday 30 June 2009 02:44:10 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> According to 'The X Server Configuration HOWTO'
>
> "If you use alternative input devices, such as a Synaptics touchpad
> for a laptop, be sure to add it to INPUT_DEVICES. "
>
> So I put in make.conf INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard synaptics" and did
> emerge -pv xorg-server.
>
> In the output after INPUT_DEVICES I saw keyboard, mouse and evdev in
> red and synaptics in blue with a minus sigh. So I removed keyboard and
> mouse from the line in make.conf. Same result. Don't know where evdev
> comes from; I never specified it anywhere.
>
> Only by explicitly entering INPUT_DEVICES="synaptics" emerge -pv
> xorg-server was I able to see, after INPUT_DEVICES in the output, the
> word synaptics in green with an asterisk at the end. The words evdev,
> keyboard and mouse appear further along in the output, also in green
> ending in asterisks but  preceeded with a minus sign. And, that was
> after re-adding mouse and keyboard to INPUT_DEVICES  in make.conf.
>
> Questions:
>
> Is this the right way to go? Why won't portage accept what's in
> make.conf in this case? It accepts my USE flags and my VIDEO_CARDS
> entry. What's with the green and the asterisk? Is the doc wrong? I
> note it was updated just three weeks ago.
>
> Maxim

What X server version?

try this:

INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard synaptics"
in make.conf

Colour codes:

Red     enabled
Blue    disabled
Green   changed

and the asterisks are described in man emerge section "--verbose"

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" is likely default on in your profile
--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com