On 2009-06-30, Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 29 Jun, Grant Edwards wrote:

>> After recent updates Xorg on several of my machines have
>> started dropping keyboard events.  Sometimes it's a keydown
>> event -- in which case the keystroke is ignored.  Sometimes
>> it's a keyup event -- in which case the key repeats
>> indefinitely until another key is pressed.

[...]

>> Has anybody else seen this problem pop up recently?
>
> Yes and No,
>
> I had similar problems but completely deterministic. When the
> keyboard is handled by hal it produces different keycodes then
> before.
>
> In my case the PgDn key now generates a code which was
> previously generated by the key right to the right Windows
> key. And in my .Xmodmap I had this code defined as Mode_switch
> which made the key "dead" in my editor. Try using xev to see
> which codes are generated by the keys which cause you
> problems.

AFAICT, my problem happens with equal frequency for all keys.

> Then look at all places where X11 key codes are redefined i.e.
> xmodmap is called.

The problem isn't that a key produces the wrong result.  The
problem is that sometimes a key will be "missed" and sometimes
a key will "stick" until another key is pressed.  It only seems
to happen under heavy load (e.g. when compiling programs), and
it's now happening on multiple machines.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Make me look like
                                  at               LINDA RONSTADT again!!