On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Paul
Hartman<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Kevin O'Gorman<kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm having trouble configuring X, and to save time I'd like to be able
>> to shut it down, edit some stuff, and start it up again.
>>
>> What is the gentoo way to do that?
>
> It depends on how you started X in the first place. If you did a
> "startx" (or similar), logging out should be all you need to do to get
> out of X. If you use a login manager, XDM/GDM/KDM then it'll restart
> itself so you'll need to switch to a VT (ctrl-alt-F1) and then sudo
> /etc/init.d/xdm stop to shut down XDM (and therefore X). You can then
> rmmod your video drivers or do whatever changes you want to do. sudo
> /etc/init.d/xdm start to bring it back up.

Several of you suggested "/etc/init.d/xdm start" or so to get it
(re)started.  It doesn't work.  Instead the start-stop daemon
complains of not being able to stat "/usr/bin/xdm" which doesn't
exist.  And no I didn't mispell it.  I've never seen this before an
I'm baffled.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD