>> I know Linux systems aren't supposed to become fragmented, but I've
>> also read that it can happen eventually.  I'm on ext3.  I've read that
>> ext4 will have a defragmenter but that it doesn't have one yet.
>
> It's not that they aren't supposed to become fragmented, it is that
> they try to avoid it. There is a big difference, and things like
> streaming writes (downloads, bittorrents, etc) can cause extreme
> fragmentation.

Yeah, that's when I'm hearing the HD access I didn't hear before.  I
run miro and it's downloading several torrents all the time.  It never
made a sound before, but now there's a rhythmic grinding sound when
miro is running, maybe because the HD is more full now.  Could shake
help with this?  To find out, should I be running it on the partially
downloaded torrents?

- Grant