On Sunday 09 August 2009, Stroller wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2009, at 21:00, Mick wrote:
> >>
> >> What konqueror presents is just a virtual view. You cannot play
> >> anything
> >> else than the .wav's from a CD, because they're the only ones
> >> representing
> >> the real data.
> >
> > Oh, I see.  When I copy an mp3 file I get a file which is 4.5MB
> > large, so I
> > thought that it has real music in it.
>
> I believe that once you've dragged & dropped one of these somewhere -
> resulting in a .mp3 file of about that size - they should indeed be
> playable. It sounds like something's broken.
>
> Are you using  KDE 3.5.10?
>
> I think your problem may be described in this article:
> http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200907/page04.html
>
>     But, if you want to rip MP3 files, you will have some extra work
> to do
>     to get them to come out right. Due to a "bug" that crept into KDE
>     3.5.10, MP3s do not encode properly. Without the "fix," all your
> MP3s
>     will be nothing more than static-filled white noise.
>
> I no longer consider MP3 as a particularly good format for compressed
> audio. You might want to consider the Ogg Vorbis option, although on
> other platforms you may need to install software to play this format.

Thank you both.  It seems that this is indeed a bug for KDE-3.5.10.  :-(

I tried both solutions and neither works.  The former creates a 4.5MB mp3 file
which is full of white noise, the latter described in the article creates an
empty file 0MB.

Is there another solution to this?  I need mp3 because the file will be
ultimately played on a vanilla WinXP PC.
--
Regards,
Mick