On Monday 14 September 2009 02:59:28 David Relson wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I'm running Xorg with a minimal config file (only 15 lines - which
> provide font paths and set the AllowMouseOpenFail option).
>
> When I last restarted my computer (about 3 months ago), X came up in
> 1280x1024 mode.  Today I restarted X (because the shift and control
> keys were non-responsive) and my computer is in 1024x768 mode.  I much
> prefer the higher resolution.
>
> I have the Xorg.0.log files from the reboot 3 months ago and today's X
> restart.  What should I be looking at in them to diagnose what has
> happened differently?
>
> Several obvious questions arise:
>
>    _Why_ did X select a different resolution today?
>    _How_ can I get to the higher resolution?
>    _What_ can I do to prevent a recurrence of this problem?
>
> I'm running a 2.6.28-gentoo-r5 kernel with the following packages:
>
>     x11-base/xorg-x11-7.2
>     x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2
>     x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.1-r1

Recent Xorg interrogates the hardware to find what resolutions it supports and
can pick one of those to use. The user can also specify their preference, so I
reckon you likely didn't specify a preference; and what Xorg thinks you want
isn't what you want.

Look for the string "EDID" in both logs and make comparisons in that area.

Before you do that, run "genlop -l" or examine emerge.log to find what
upgrades and merges were done in the last three months that affect resolution.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com