On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>> On reboot following recent update world I find the xfce4 manager is
>>> not able to display the former desktop wallpaper or even the
>>> wallpapers packaged with the install.
>>
>> Did you upgrade to jpeg-7 recently?
>
> Sure did... at the same time as the other stuff Sep 13.
>
> A couple of quick googles didn't enlighten me as to what difference
> that might make.
>
> The wall paper I had up before updating is a *.png file.
>
> `equery files jpeg-7' turned up a /usr/share/doc/jpeg-7/usage.txt.bz2
>
> Again... not much enlightenment there.

In short, jpeg-7 breaks some things :) It's not compatible with
previous versions and while most programs don't have a problem with
that, some do.

I'm not sure exactly what causes XFCE to break, but gtk+ is broken
with jpeg-7 and causes other apps like gqview to be screwed up as
well. There's a patch on the gtk+ bugzilla that fixes it. If XFCE uses
gtk+ that might be the cause. Recompiling all of XFCE might fix it,
too.