AFAIK, waking up from standby is controlled by hardware, you can't
control such events.
As for the WOL (Wake on Lan), you _must_ have an ethernet adapter which
supports it, usually they have a connector that must be linked to the
motherboard. In this way, your ethernet card will be always on and to
wake up your PC you have to send a special packet to the MAC address of
the card.
There are lot of scripts to send such packet, just google it around.

Regards.

--
      _   * Massimo Gengarelli <massimo.gengare...@gmail.com>
 ~0  (_|  * Computer Science student @ http://www.unibo.it
|(_~|^~~| * http://massitm.sohead.org <-- my personal, outdated website
TT/_ T"T  * One person's error is another person's data.