On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 21:38 +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 20 September 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > -----The following addresses had permanent fatal errors-----
> > > <email_acco...@isp.com>
> > >   (reason: 550 5.1.0 <nag...@myserver.mydomain.com> sender rejected :
> > > invalid sender domain)
> > >
> > > -----Transcript of session follows -----
> > >
> > > ... while talking to smtp.ISP.com:
> > >
> > > <<< 550 5.1.0 <nag...@myserver.mydomain.com> sender rejected : invalid
> > > sender domain
> > > 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> > > ================================================================
> > >
> > > Does this fail because the ISP's reverse DNS on my dynamically allocated
> > > IP address resolves to an ISP domain instead of myserver.mydomain.com?
> > >
> > > Is there something I could change in the configuration of my server to
> > > make this work again?
> >
> > I think you might avoid the problem by making sendmail Impersonate your
> > isps domain.
> >
> > Using some or all of these settings in sendmail.mc
> >  MASQUERADE_AS(`yourISP.domain')dnl
> >  MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`youractual.domain')dnl
> >  FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
> >  FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
>
> Yes, that should fix the reverse DNS problem alright, but then people who
> receive email notifications from myserver will be confused by the domain that
> these messages are sent from.
I don't know this sendmail feature, but I think sendmail should not
modify your message, but just the envelop. So `youractual.domain' would
still be in the "To"-header, while `yourISP.domain' is in the envelop.
That should make your ISP happy, and no receiver will ever notice
(except if they look at the headers), because MUAs only show the
"To"-header :)

Your ISP could still check the "To"-header - but that would be just
plain ugly...