On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I seem to have lost an external USB drive I've been using on my
> MythTV backend server for video storage. What commands can I try to
> get it to wake up or at least show me what's working and what isn't?
> The drive shows under fdisk /dev/sda. I can see the large partition,
> and it seems to be the right size, according to fdisk anyway, but I
> cannot mount it using mount, and so far I cannot get e2fsck to do
> anything.

I had similar errors with an external USB drive recently and it turned
out to be related to the USB port on the computer. (I suspect the USB
controller was overloaded). I plugged it into a port on a different
controller and it started working normally again. So some easy things
I would suggest trying before messing with data:

A) diferent USB port on the same computer
B) plug it into a different computer entirely
C) try a different USB cable