On 09/21/2009 04:16 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
> Before I did 'emerge -uvDN world' a couple of days ago
> the terminal that came with xfce4 was quite configurable with tabs.
> Now the terminal app really sucks.

Yet another problem when people do 'emerge ... world' (groan, not at you).
My own practice is to do 'emerge -Dup world' after 'eix-sync',
then choose which apps to actually emerge individually;
I keep a careful record of everything I installed & have updated.

090921 Maxim Wexler wrote:
> This is the terminal I want, the one I used to have:
>   http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/terminal
> This is the terminal I have now:
>   http://www.xfce.org/projects/terminal

The link on the 2nd site to 'homepage' sends you to the 1st site.

I don't use the Xfce desktop, but I do use 'Terminal',
ie 'x11-terms/terminal-0.4.0', which has tabs & looks like the 1st site.
I notice there's a new dependency, if I were to remerge it :

  root:566 ~> emerge -pv x11-terms/terminal
    Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild N ] dev-util/xfce4-dev-tools-4.6.0  61 kB
    [ebuild R ] x11-terms/terminal-0.4.0 USE="dbus -debug -doc (-nls%)"

You could try doing that emerge & see if it helps at all;
you could also try running 'terminal' from the CLI & see what happens.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca