On Tuesday 22 September 2009 18:33:30 Daniel da Veiga wrote:

> As an owner (701 and 900), I researched a lot, and found this:
>
> http://code.toofishes.net/cgit/dan/eee.git/tree/kernel-eee/kernelconfig

An interesting link - thanks. His hardware differs from mine and it's not
easy to pick out the differences I want from those I don't; I think I've
got most of the right things though.

> Its an Arch developer that makes a binary package (an eee specific
> kernel), but he publishes all info using git (including the kernel
> config file). You can use that to compile your own kernel and it will
> give you a perfectly working framebuffer at native resolution (800x480
> in 701, and 1024x600 in 900).

I do now have a 127x37 text console, which looks like the one I described
but is activated earlier. It'll do nicely. I assume it's 1024x600.

Two problems remain (until I solve those and expose the next layer!):

1.      On starting X I find that the keyboard and mouse are not connected. I
can
ssh in and reboot the machine, so it's still alive - just not responsive to
me at the keyboard. I've tried an xorg.conf from X -configure, and I've
tried without. More investigation to do here.

2.      The wireless network. This uses an Atheros chip, device 168c:002b, not
quite the same as the chips described on gentoo-wiki. Has anyone here got
this system working? Do I need madwifi, for instance? The old laptop this
netbook will replace has a madwifi installation that I could plagiarise.

--
Rgds
Peter