On 1 Oct 2009, at 15:44, Arthur D. wrote:

I just installed VIM with emerge, and removed nano because I considered it to be absolutely unnecessary in my system. Why I need nano? I am a VIM
fan. And here the troubles begin...
Run "sudo visudo" and you get this:
    ~ $ sudo visudo
visudo: no editor found (editor path = /bin/nano)
    ~ $ env | grep -i edit
EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim

You seem to have alienated some responses with your posting manner, but it seems that folks are replying without reading the above.

Here, as user stroller, `sudo visudo` runs nano. If I `su` to root, then vi is used.

In both environments `echo $EDITOR` now returns "/usr/bin/vim".
(previously user stroller had just "vi" set as editor, but changing it & sourcing .bashrc doesn't make any difference)

I'm unclear why the user preference of editor seems to be ignored here.

If I `touch /etc/sudoers.tmp && touch /etc/sudoers.tmp && chmod 777 / etc/sudoers.tmp /etc/sudoers` then `visudo` does indeed seem to use vi.

So it seems to me that you're right. It appears like maybe when `sudo` detects that it's running `visudo` it does seem to ignore $EDITOR. I, too, disagree with this behaviour. IMO the ebuild ("--with-editor=/bin/ nano") take the editor from "/etc/rc.conf", but I'm extremely curious why upstream makes this behaviour, anyway.

Stroller.