Thanks. Depmod yielded no results. At least as far as I can tell. I tried
with ...

Code:
# depmod -a ; depmod -e -F

 As I recall "Note: the kernel developers warn that you should not configure or
compile your kernel as root."
>->http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-539024.html And that "that there have
been bugs in the build process which caused files in the /dev tree to be
deleted if run as root"

  I remember distinctly configuring and compiling my kernels as root, but ...

Code:
$ make && make modules_install
snip< (verbos output attached)
rm: cannot remove `include/config/kernel.release': Permission denied
make: *** [include/config/kernel.release] Error 1
... always failed. You always install as root right?

  So I just carried on compiling as root. Could this be part of the problem?
Do I need to compile as user? I don't seem to be able.