On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 19:34:39 +0900, daid kahl wrote:

> > > The stick will be used in MSWindows mainly.
> >
> > In that case, I'd play safe and format it in Windows.

> Ah booo!  You're formatting it anyway, so there's no data to lose, and
> I can't imagine you'd break it by trying to format it.

Who mentioned data loss? Formatting in Windows reduces the risk of
Windows complaining about the format. It may not be standards-compliant,
but at least is is consistently broken.

I've had cfdisk complain about too many FAT filesystems that apparently
work well, so I generally format in the device that will mainly use the
filesystem.

--
Neil Bothwick

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.