Alex Schuster wrote:
> Dale writes:
>

>> Alex Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
>>>

>> That's the one.  I think its either the second or third key that makes
>> it go back to a console.  It is nice to know about.  I have it taped to
>> my wall for reference.  It beats having to pull the plug without a
>> proper shutdown.
>>

> If only X hangs, you can go back to the console with Alt-SysRq-R, followed
> by Ctrl-Alt-Fn. If you just want to kill X, try Alt-SysRq-K. If the test
> mode does not work then, try the 'textmode' command (typing blindly in a
> text console), that may restore it.
>
>       Wonko

Well, I upgraded to xorg-server-1.6 and guess what, it was a bust,
AGAIN.  I moved xorg.conf, re-emerged the xf86-input-* stuff and it did
do a little better.  I bumped the mouse and the pointer moved, then it
locked up and my fans started spinning up so I assume the CPU was going
nuts.  I had to use the Aly SysReq keys to get back to a console.  So, I
added -hal to my package.use file and re-emerged xorg-server and now it
works fine.

I hate to say it this way, but hal just plain sucks.  I may play with it
some later but I'm getting sick of hal big time.  It's starting to
really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Dale

:-)  :-)