On Sunday 11 October 2009 22:30:29 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Have you considered simply not installing them at all? If you don't want
> apache, cups, syslog-ng and bind you don't take any special steps, you
> simply don't emerge them.

No, but those are single packages, more or less. KDE is hundreds of packages -
not the same scale at all.

> Unless of course you do want kde:3.5 (I don't recall if you mentioned that
> or not).

Yes, where a GUI is installed it's kde:3.5, and I want to keep it, except on a
test box where it can be kept safely confined.

> OT: I really like kde:4 myself, but it's such a different product to
> kde:3.5 that I honestly feel it's official name should have been kde4. If
> the kde devs had done that, your issue would simply never have happened.
> This versioning is causing problems for many people, you are not the only
> one wanting to avoid kde:4

Oh woe! I've just run a sync and found another 25 of them. The other day I put
13 entries into package.mask and that held the fort for the time; now I have
another battle to fight. There will be more, too.

What I need is an automask to complement autounmask, or perhaps a kde4 USE
flag.

--
Rgds
Peter