On 2009-10-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> English is a mess. As a language it's worse than a pig's
> breakfast and makes almost no sense whatsoever to non-native
> speakers. Mind you, it makes about as much sense to native
> speakers as well :-) I had to take 5 years of Latin study in
> high school to understand how my own mother tongue works. Sad
> indictment for a language wouldn't you say?

At least we mostly got rid of the whole gender mess and only
have to worry about objective/subjective case for a few cases.
During a mostly futile attempt to learn German, I had occasion
to read Mark Twin's essay on Germain articles.  IIRC, plotting
out all of the combinations for "the" takes something like a
3x9 grid

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! What I want to find
                                  at               out is -- do parrots know