* Paul Hartman (Mon, 19 Oct 2009 15:38:12 -0500)

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Thorsten Kampe
> <thors...@thorstenkampe.de> wrote:

> > That was the solution. I checked the resolution before the upgrade with
> > "xdpyinfo | grep resolution" (Tip from the German list): 75 dpi.
> > Afterwards: 96 dpi. Setting it to 75 solved the issue.
> >
> > I'd still like to know what exactly changed and if 75 or 96 is the
> > "correct" value. Nevertheless, I have Xorg server 1.6 running and it
> > looks fine.
>
> Divide your screen resolution (pixels) by its visible area (inches) to
> get DPI. For example my monitor screen is 16 inches wide and 12 inches
> tall and I use 1600x1200 resolution. That is 100dpi. In my system this
> is autodetected when xorg starts (maybe the nvidia drivers do it?).

This is a VMware virtual machine using a virtual monitor on a physical
machine with two physical monitors. I'm not sure whether calculating DPI
that way would lead to meaningfull results for the virtual machine. This
whole "hard" setting of DPI for a monitor seems anachronistic to me.

Thorsten