On Saturday 24 October 2009 22:36:59 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 October 2009 22:16:03 Dale wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm still using KDE 3.5 for this but this is annoying at times.  I'm
> >> looking for a way to adjust the audio/video so that they sync up.  Mine
> >> seems to be about 1.5 to 2 seconds out of adjustment here.  I googled
> >> and found that the + and - keys should adjust this but I can't tell that
> >> it is working here.  Is there some other way to adjust this setting?
> >> I'm using kmplayer with mplayer for the backend.
> >
> > Are you sure the input file isn't broken? Does it happen with many files?
> > What type of files?
> >
> > 2 seconds is a huge lag, much too big to explain as a mere bug, so I'd be
> > looking for other data to correlate first.
>
> Well, it does vary by a bit.  Some are not quite so far off.  I did find
> this little tidbit of info in 'console' under view.  This is interesting:
>
> MPlayer SVN-r29463-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
> Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.
>
> libavformat file format detected.
> ID_VIDEO_ID=0
> [lavf] Video stream found, -vid 0
> ID_AUDIO_ID=1
> [lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 1
> VIDEO:  [H264]  480x360  0bpp  29.917 fps  550.2 kbps (67.2 kbyte/s)
> ID_FILENAME=/data/Movies/Movies/Clue Club 03 The Real Gone Gondola Pt 1.flv
> ID_DEMUXER=lavfpref
> ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=H264
> ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=550208
> ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.917
> ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=255
> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
> ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
> ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
> ID_SEEKABLE=1
> ID_CHAPTERS=0
> [gl] using extended formats. Use -vo gl:nomanyfmts if playback fails.
> Opening video filter: [pp=de]
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
> ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffh264
> Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
> AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
> ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=128000
> ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
> ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
> Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
> FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
> AO: [alsa] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
> ID_AUDIO_CODEC=faad
> Starting playback...
> VDec: vo config request - 480 x 360 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
> [PP] Using external postprocessing filter, max q = 6.
> VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
> Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
> [swscaler @ 0x8939540]using unscaled yuv420p -> rgb32 special converter
> VO: [gl] 480x360 => 480x360 BGRA
> X11 error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

> [...]

I haven't snipped - the output might be useful later in the thread.

First, the "slow system" message always means something, but it's a bit
generic. It means that mplayer can't process the audio fast enough and like
the message says is often buggy driver or wrong configs. Try the suggestions
listed.

An OOo compile in the background will indeed kill interactive processes. I
find that even on this DualCore2 2.6 notebook with 4G of RAM, building OOo
sends the load through the roof, especially when it starts printing progress
lines with lots of dots. It's IO blocking on something and the entire machine
just sits there doing nothing whatsoever except sit in a tight loop waiting
for soemthing to happen in the build.

Try again once emerge OOo has completed. emerge KDE should not affect things
anywhere near the same amount.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com