On 10/25/2009 11:37 PM, Grant wrote:
After upgrading from 2.6.28 to 2.6.31, I noticed my CPU temperatures
are reported a full 20C hotter.  If I load the old kernel, the
reported temperatures drops back down to normal.  Has anyone else seen
this?

If you're using coretemp as sensor, the temps are always off (the coretemp sensor of Intel chips is not accurate, not by any stretch of the imagination.) It only reports the distance to the CPU's maximum thermal junction, which then the coretemp driver *tries* to translate into a temperature, but the result is wrong since the value reported by the CPU is not accurate to start with (it only gets accurate as you approach the max value). That maximum value is totally undocumented for desktop CPUs (the docs Intel provided recently are wrong.)

You should use your mainboard's sensors instead for accurate values.