091103 Harry Putnam wrote:
> building a new kernel has always been a problem for me.
> Many people here seem to find it completely easy... not me.

I find it doable with a bit of care (smile).

> After install of gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r4
> I started with `make oldconfig'
> Moved from that to `make menuconfig'

I just installed the same kernel with no problems.
I did 'make oldconfig', looking at the '?' help for each new item
& deciding whether to say Y/N as seemed appropriate.
There wasn't anything dramatically new,
so I went straight on to 'gvimdiff .config .config-<previous_kernel>',
which allows a careful review of all the differences.
There seemed to be nothing outstanding, so I went ahead with 'make',
copied it by hand into  /boot  & updated Lilo;
there was a problem, which I reported here, re Nvidia-drivers,
but I moved up to a new version & then everything worked as expected.
I never compile kernel items as modules if it cb avoided:
it's one source of potential pain one can avoid.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca