Harry Putnam wrote:
> Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org> writes:
>

>> Strange. Is hal still in your USE flags?
>> It is not really neded, but I think it's nice to have - maybe not for
>> x.org, but for other things like automounting devices. Here's the list of
>> my packages that need HAL:
>>

> I didn't tell quite all of it.  Hal was not in my useflags (by my
> hand) until this last upgrade (two days ago).
>
> In the course of events I saw hal pop up in the output of
> emerge -vuDp world.  I'd already noticed hal was not on my system for
> a while now... so quickly added `-hal' to /etc/make.conf.
>
> So from here on, its no mystery why I don't have hal.  But before the
> last upgrade, I don't recall having done anything explicit about hal
> to remove it.  And had gone through several upgrades without hal
> popping up.

It may be the profile you are using.  It may not have hal enabled for
some reason therefore nothing was pulling it in.

Me, if everything is working fine, I would leave hal out.  I have
seriously considered adding -hal to make.conf and seeing what happens.
It just sort of tastes bad after all the hal problems I have had.

Dale

:-)  :-)