Hello David,

daid kahl <daid...@gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/11/6 Roger Mason <rma...@mun.ca>:
>> I have an intel iMac Core 2 Duo with an ATI radeon HD 2400 XT video
>> card.  I have not been able to get X working.
>>

> I'm also running on an apple machine (macbook), so I might be able to
> help.  My video card is intel, so my settings won't be exactly the
> same.
>
> The first point I suggest is to re-emerge all your x11-drivers/xf86
> files.  Sometimes after an xorg update these need to be re-installed
> (although it sounds like you are running on a clean install.

Yes, a clean install.

> Your make.conf settings look okay, but I wonder about
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf and hal.  Is hal installed and running (to run it
> /etc/init.d/hald start or to add it to default rc-update add hal
> default).  hal should take care of the keyboard and mouse without any
> extra configuration (special keys and trackpad scrolling extra
> features aside.  check out pommed for hotkey support in apple).

> I recall that in xorg.conf the driver for my video card device was a
> bit picky over what I told it.  For me this was more an intel graphics
> issue compared with xorg changes (it used to be under i810 and then it
> was changed to intel, and so there is some mismatching sometimes in my
> experience).  Try a few options for this variable when you startx.
>
> Try these things (and shoot along xorg.conf) and let me know how it
> goes.

I unmerged ati-drivers and removed fglrx from make.conf then rebuilt
xorg-server without hal.  I was then able to generate an xorg.conf file
using Xorg -configure.  The generated file chose the vesa driver but
after editing that to radeon it now works.  I am not sure quite which
step in the above was effective in providing a cure.  Now that I have a
working xorg.conf to which I can revert I will try again with hal and
fglrx.  I can't send the xorg.conf as I don't have access to the machine
today.

Many thanks for your help.

Roger