On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 08:18:11AM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote

> Did I read that right?  You have a setting in lilo.conf that makes
> your font unreadable?  Then why do you have that in lilo.conf?

  You didn't read the entire post.  The *DEFAULT* result of 'VGA=6' in
/etc/lilo.conf gives an 8x8 font which results in an 80x60 display.
*IN ADDITION* I set 'CONSOLEFONT="lat1-10"' in /etc/conf.d/consolefont,
which gives me an 80x48 row display, using 8x10 font, which is *MUCH*
nicer than 8x8 font.

  The reason I do 'VGA=6' in /etc/lilo.conf is because that is a
quick-n-dirty way to kick the display into a 480 scanline mode, instead
of the default 400 scanline mode.  It's a lot safer and easier than
screwing around with SVGATextmode (is it still around?).

  Anyhow, upon resuming from hibernation, Gentoo remembers the 480
scanline mode, but does not remember the non-default font, which is why
I have to reset the font via the OnResume option.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>