091111 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 18:19 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
>> 091111 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> the disk / cpu does nothing ?

I just tested starting Xterm on the desktop where Gkrellm runs.
There is a brief CPU load of  27 % , then  100 %  at every start;
at the 1st start, there's a spike in disk access;
1st start was  c 6 sec , 2nd  c 4 sec .  Xpdf is very similar.
Xclock has the same CPU effect, but starts after  c 3 sec .

I remerged Xterm & Xclock, ran 'X -configure' & re-installed  xorg.conf ,
but there is no change.

> Run lsmod and see if the nvidia driver is actually being used ?
> -- I have 48 in the used-by column.

Yes, it is: used by '26'.

> Is the general refresh rate and glx type apps ok ?

There hasn't been any other similar effect which I've noticed.

> I don't think you need to rebuild nvidia, but did you anyway ?

I last rebuilt Nvidia-drivers after the Xorg-x11 upgrade;
I had to use the testing version 185.18.36-r1 ,
as "stable" 180.60 wouldn't compile with Gentoo-sources 2.6.31-r4 .

Someone else mentioned networking, but I have no local network or firewall
& none of these apps uses the Internet.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca