On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:06:27 +0200
Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Sunday 15 November 2009 15:44:16 David Relson wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 10:29:12 +0200
> >
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this the very famous watcom compiler that's been around longer
> > > than MS-DOS and eventually ended up being owned by Sybase?
> >
> > You are correct -- though lacking the "Sybase released it to the
> > open source world" detail.
>
> Sybase actually release the source to something? Surely you jest?
>
> I used to work for the local Sybase reseller. I would not have
> thought management would ever have open-sourced anything.
>
> Well, well, whaddayaknow. Miracles do happen.
>
> watcom was a very nice compiler back in the day. I remember it
> trashing the pants off anything else in the market (this was in the
> DOS-3.x era)

For more on Watcom C's history, including the Sybase release as open
source, see http://www.openwatcom.org/index.php/History

I used Watcom C quite a bit in the mid '90s to develop a bookkeepping
program for Michigan Bingo games, and even made some spending money
off of the project :->

At that time, my host operating system was 32-bit OS/2 and the target
was 16-bit DOS.  Watcom worked like a champion for me!