I have been thinking of buying this laptop and was looking at the Gentoo Wiki
which shows relatively good hardware compatibility, except for the radeon card
which is now an older offering:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Dell_Studio_XPS_16

The current spec on the UK Dell website shows 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 (see
below).
PROCESSOR:      Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 720QM (1.60Ghz, 6MB cache)
LCD:    Black Leather back cover : 15.6" (inch) Truelife 1080p Full HD WLED
Edge
to Edge Display
MEMORY: 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
HARD DRIVE:     500GB (7,200rpm) Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive
PRIMARY BATTERY:        9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion battery
OPTICAL DRIVE:  Internal Blu-Ray ROM (Blu-Ray read, DVD and CD read & Write)
Optical Drive
GRAPHICS CARD:  1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 graphics card
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY:  Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
BLUETOOTH:      Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module

According to these links the RadeonHD driver is experimental:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Aexperimental_3D

Does anyone have experience with this driver, or better yet, this laptop?
Shall I buy or shall I shy away from it?
--
Regards,
Mick