On 11/20/2009 11:56 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
On 20 Nov, Marcus Wanner wrote:
On 11/20/2009 4:00 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
Hi,

there are two utilities on (my) Gentoo system and I wonder
when to prefer which one.

On one hand there is 'equery' with many commands.
On the other hand there the 'q-tools' i.e. a lot of
symlinks to /usr/bin/q
like
qfile
qdepends
quse
and so on.

Often they offer similar tasks.
I wonder when to use which one.
Which is faster, more reliable, ...

Many thanks for sharing your experience,
Helmut.
I would personally prefer equery, as it is in gentoolkit, an official gentoo project, and because is more standard. To tell the truth, though, I have never even heard of q-tools...

No wonder, it's just my personal nickname for it.
The official name is
app-portage/portage-util

Helmut.

Ah. Then I can't really give you any recommendation besides the fact that gentoolkit seems to be what most people use, and there is certainly something to be said for using the most popular programs since there will be faster support and bugfixes. Or course, that is a valid decision criteria only when there is no other reason to choose a specific option (there would be no such thing as the linux or even gentoo user base otherwise).

Marcus