On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 2:56 AM, App Des <app4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a gentoo server running stable fully updated, and I share a folder
> with samba on a gigabit network.
>
> The client dual boots Gentoo (stable again) and Windows 7.
>
> Under windows 7, getting a file from the server achieves around 70MB/s

It is quite possible that Windows 7 is mis-reporting the transfer
speed.  To put it in perspective, I would expect around 70-90MB/s from
a direct SATA2 connection to a hard disk, so to hear that network
transfers on gigabit are going around that speed makes me scratch my
head (and a little jealous).

I can usually expect transfers of around 30-40MB/s from my server.
Maybe I'm just used to mediocrity?