I have never tried P55 before, however, I have no problem with P35, P45,
and X58. I believe Gentoo should work with P55 without any problem.
When using make menuconfig you need to configure network interface,
SATA, and IDE drivers correctly for the hardware specifications obtained
from lspci command.

Hung